WARNING. Once you make these – you will not buy tortillas at the grocery store.CONTINUE READING
Traditionally, I am not the cook in our house – but it is something I’m trying to get better at. So I’ve taken to quarantine to try to get more comfortable in the kitchen and take the place of head chef a few nights a week. I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite recipes with some tips and tricks I’ve learned in the process.CONTINUE READING
My go-to thanksgiving recipe is Miniature Pecan Pies. I base my recipe off the AllRecipes Pecan Pie Tarts. I don’t know what it is, but I love mini desserts – hopefully you will too!
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 package of Pillsbury Pie Crusts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Spray mini cupcake tin with Pam
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface.
- Roll out Pie Crusts with a rolling pin until it is ~1/16″ thick. Cut Pie crust by pressing the lip of a glass drinking onto the counter.
- Place mini pie crust in the tin
- In mixing bowl, cream together 1/4 cup butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Hand fold in pecans. Fill each miniature pie crust half full.
- Bake for ~25 minutes or until fully cooked (test by poking with toothpick and the toothpick is removed clean).
- Place on cooling rack.
We tried Hello Fresh, and didn’t get the hype. Now I completely understand why someone may be obsessed with it – but it wasn’t for us.
Our friend gave us a great coupon where we only had to pay $15 of three meals for 2 people. So, we thought we’d give it a try. Figured it we hate it, it’s a small investment.
– On a week where our lives would be very busy, this would take away planning dinner (which
we my husband enjoys).
– Get’s you to try something you have never cooked before.
– Easy website to help you make your selections.
Groceries. When the box arrived, we were less than impressed. Spice packets were slit open with a knife/scissors. Fresh produced looked sad and slightly wilted. (I really wish I would’ve taken pictures of this to show y’all)
Price. When pricing out what this would look like against our current monthly grocery bill, it was much more expensive to keep this up.
Commitment. We ordered the meals the week before and when the shipment came, we weren’t that excited or in the mood for those items. We’re self proclaimed bad at meal planning (prefer to decide a few meals at a time and grocery shop multiple times a week in smaller portions).
Recipe. I don’t know if its all of the Instagram ads I see for HelloFresh, but I assumed the recipe would be a lot easier than it was. Coming from people who cook nightly (and usually pretty complex items), the recipe’s weren’t easy to follow or were missing steps that you had to assume.
Overall Review. 3/5 The three meals we cooked were tasty- took longer than we anticipated, and the portion sizes weren’t large enough for our liking. Wouldn’t participate in a Hello Fresh or Meal Delivery service again.
If you’re looking to get into cooking and struggle to come up with week night meals – then give it a try – it could be for you.
I love baked chickpeas, but it drives me crazy that I go thru the little bags in 0.2 seconds. I’ve been playing around with making them at home and wanted to share some tricks to make them tasty.
– 2 cans of Chickpeas
– Olive Oil (~2 tablespoons)
– Sea Salt (~1 teaspoon)
Needing an Idea for a dish to bring to your 4th of July party? I’ve rounded up a few ideas for you to try:
- Pecan Pie Tarts – This is my all time favorite dish to bring to parties. They are super easy to make and a hit. Test them out and let me know what you think.
- Watermelon Salad – Are you feeling like you should be healthy to offset all the beer you’re going to drink?? Try this watermelon, mint and feta salad.
- Firework Cookies – I love a good sugar cookie. If you’re short on time, you can always get sugar break and bakes while using Martha’s guide to decorate as a Firework.
- Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats – I’ve heard amazing things about these guys. Rice Crispy Treats are great for all ages, but the Salted Brown Butter adds an adult flare.
What is your favorite dish to make?