I got the inspiration for the Oyster Ball center pieces when we were visiting my in-laws in Florida years before we were engaged. My mother-in-law decorated their home in an elegant coastal theme and I’ve been in love with the idea of decorating with Oysters ever since.
I wracked my brain trying to come up with the execution to accomplish the look I was going for.
We have a linen closet that I’ve wanted to update the hardware on since the day we moved in. Thought it would be a quick change out, once I picked out the hardware. That moment is where I went wrong.
I found that DIY’ers (can I even call myself that !?!) only ever show you the super positive side of doing things themselves – and I’m here to tell you the 9180298 trips to Home Depot or 10 weeks it took us to finish something. So sit on back and listen to this funny story of insane scope creep.
Realizing the previous homeowner’s holes were not 3″ apart.
Once I took the cabinets off the hinges, I could see horribly they were painted.
Didn’t realize how hard it was to accurately drill hardware holes.
The light figures in our house are either vintage (and beautiful) or straight from the 90’s (and far less beautiful). While we search for the lights we want to buy to replace what we currently have, I needed to do something to make the fixtures a little better. Is it just me or once you see something you don’t like, you cant unsee it?!??
I took the silver pieces of the light fixtures off to spray paint. I didn’t really think through the final look I wanted and picked up a can of White Rustoleum Spray Paint. Once I sprayed on a few coats, the paint started to crackle (not the texture I was going for). So I sanded it down, went back to Home Depot and picked up the Behr Chalk Spray Paint.
The Chalk Spray Paint gives a nice matte look. A great, cheap (under $10) fix to update a light fixture.
It’s been a process, but I think our Bedroom may be the first room that feels “done” in our house. I’ve found that if I allow myself to live in a room and let the decor/ design grow with us, I tend to love it for a longer period of time.
The goal was functional, beautiful curtains Before making investments (or shopping and returning a bunch of products), I like to draw out what I’m envisioning on my iPhoto Editor (take a photo and “Edit” it by drawing your vision on the screen), here’s my photo below:
It is amazing what 6 weeks and some elbow grease can do – (Left – Before; Right – After).
One day it hit me how out of control our fence and side yard was – so I decided to do something about it. I went into this thinking I would be able to knock it out in a weekend- anddd 6 weeks later I’m finally done. If you’re interested to see progress in video format, head over to InstaStories.
I spent a lot of time with Minted
building out our wedding invitations and felt that I could handle our paper
suite as a DIY project. I wanted them to compliment the invitation suite, but
not be too matchy-matchy.
Step 1. I played around with some water color paints I had at the
house – and painted a simple line (in a similar color to our invitations).
Step 2. Used a color photo scanner to scan the painting onto my
computer. I opened the PDF, copied the image and pasted into Word (Microsoft
Word that is). From here on out will only be poor man’s editing – so bear with